Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Interview With The Vampire

My first encounter with Interview With The Vampire was when I watched the movie a year ago. I happened to come across the movie on Netflix and decided to watch it. I can honestly say that I had never intended on reading the novel.

When I saw that the novel this week was Interview With The Vampire, I was looking forward to reading it. Much to my surprise, I enjoyed Ann Rice's novel. It surprised me how invigorating each page was and how I could rarely put it down. Rice's words kept me interested, not so much the action; since there was very little that truly happened. Most of the time they lived their days the same or they were searching for others, nothing more really happened. Yet so much time lapsed without the reader really realizing it.

A nice twist to the novel towards the end in Part 3 was when Lestat arose from the "dead" as Louis and Claudia had thought he was. Lestat knowing the vampires in Paris was enough of a spin, but bringing him back to avenge Claudia's attempt at murder was clever. It seems as if only sunlight will truly, without a doubt, kill vampires and keep them dead.

As I was finishing up the novel, the change in Louis was disheartening. I loved his character and how he felt love and passion when vampires are very self concerned creatures. He loved the mortal soul even though he could no longer posess it. When he killed all of those vampires in the Theatre des Vampires, he no longer felt love or really anything that made him an attractive character in the beginning. He had become more like Lestat with his selfish ways, dragging along Armand without really engaging with him in any of his pursuits. Revenge had killed the last of his mortal soul, which he tried relentlessly to hold on to.

The interviewer also was a surprising character. He seemed to play a role in the end which was not unveiled until Louis had completely finished his story. Throughout the interview I never had guessed that the interviewer would want to become a vampire himself. After listening to the misery Louis had been through, the mystery of immortality was still sronger than the warnings. The fact that he would then go to Lestat after hearing how he treats those he transforms into vampires is kind of humorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment