Monday, October 11, 2010

Warbreaker

The week's theme was traditional fantasy where we were to read Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker. The novel started off interesting, and yet very confusing. Sanderson jumped right in with details of BioChroma, but did not really explain what that was. I did not know what Breathe was either and the purpose of it. I was still unsure until around chapter five when the God's were introduced. When Sanderson introduced Lightsong, I had no idea who that was until the end of the chapter. The characters' introduction into the novel was very abrupt and I was unsure what was happening each time a new character took the perspective.
I stopped reading the novel on purpose this time; not because I ran out of time. I did not enjoy the confusion while I was reading, but also the plot. The story line seemed interesting at first, but as I got further in, the plot seemed to be going nowhere. The novel was pregressing too slowly to keep my interest. I am unsure why some details were in the novel or some random dialouge that seems to have no purpose. I enjoy a novel that goes into detail about places, people, or situations, but I can see a purpose in the writing. In Sanderson's Warbreaker, some things just seem unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment